La Maison d'Alice
Maison d’Alice will make access to treatment easier for patients by providing, during their out- patient care, free accommodation accompanied with psychological and social support.
The goals of the centre
- Improve the psychological and social conditions for patients to reduce the number of patients abandoning their treatment and help increase recovery rates.
- Provide lodgings for out-patients during their treatment and, in some instances, for a family member.
- Ensure that out-patients complete their treatment, especially those in chemotherapy and radiotherapy
- Provide psychological support and counselling
- Provide information and education on screening, diagnosing and treating cancers.
- Help patients with administrative issues, organize classes and fun events for sick children.
- To provide moral and psychological support.
Priority is given to the following patients
- Women and children suffering from cancer and going through chemotherapy and radiotherapy
- Patients living a long way from the hospital
- Patients with no possibility of staying with relatives or friends in Libreville and surrounding districts
- Low-income patients
- A family member of the patient
The key figures of cancer
- 20% of patients interrupt their treatment owing to the lack of accomodation in Libreville (data 2013)
- 400 women die a year from feminine cancers (data 2013)
- 20 individual studios with outdoor area to accommodate patients,
- including 4 studios dedicated to children and their parents